Spotted opposite the Town Hall fountains in Barnsley is
DRAPERY ... MARKET'
The shop stands on Market Hill –
the street nameplate is visible at lower right. The structure to the
left is the public sculpture Crossing
(Vertical) by Nigel Hall which stands opposite the shop.
The condensed capitals stand in relief from the surrounding
stonework. Clearly pollution and weathering has badly affected some of
the smaller lettering. The upper part of the facade
features decorated obelisks, acanthus-style brackets and squared ball
The monogram on the scrolled panel in the pediment reads '1902',
although difficult to make out from the street. Suitably for a drapery
shop, the triangle features much curling, rippling ribbon in stone.
Closed in 1975, Butterfield's Drapery Market on Market Hill, Barnsley,
had been run from around the 1830s by successive members of both the
Butterfield and Maisie familes. The premises also comprised a café
where adverts once announced: 'Dainty meals served in pleasant
surroundings.' Elliott in the book The
Making of Barnsley (1988) states that previously the Butterfield
site had 'witnessed the comings and goings of a long succession of
drapery bazaars' including those belonging to John Ludlam and Henry and
Joseph Clarke. It is now a bar.
The shop next door is a late 18th century building of three bays,
originally The George and Dragon it is Listed Grade II.
We are sure that there are further historic lettering examples
in this old industrial town in South Yorkshire, so more will follow.