Hotel de Paris, Jetty
Built in 1895-6 to the designs of G.J. Skipper, this
brick and terra cotta hotel stands above the esplanade, with the pier
projecting into the sea below. The first four photographs are from the
excellent Geograph.org.uk project.
The facade facing the sea is definitely built to
impress with its mixed mineral columns and named portico, the angles
'PARIS ... HOTEL ... DE
(the facet facing east doing with out the 'de').
Above: the fine mosaic step into the main entrance to
the hotel is echoed in the rear entrance (shown below) on High Street.
At the corner with Jetty Street, we find this
additional terra cotta lettering above a ground floor window.
2022 image courtesy David Gaylard
All the following images
are dated 2017, unless shown.
10 Brook Street (opposite the
Red Lion public house)
Brook Street is remarkably narrow In the tympanum are
the somewhat distressed terra cotta characters:
and in the frieze below
it (pierced by strengthening discs) someone has gone to a lot of
trouble to chisel off the name:
The Palmer's Livery Stables survived down to the 1960s
when it was Allman's Auction Rooms, later a snooker hall. In 2007-8 the
stables were replaced by mews housing. R.W. Palmer advertised his
four-in-hand charabanc trips in a pamphlet in the collections of Cromer
Museum and is listed as 'jobmaster' at Brook street in Kelly's Directories for Norfolk
from 1896 until 1916 when he had died and the livery had been taken
over by his executors. Information
from the Norfolk & Suffolk Public Sculpture website (see Links).
The detail shown below features four times either side of the entrance.
Church Street (between 24 and
The Cromer Baptist Church features terra cotta
lettering above the entrance:
'THE MEETING HOUSE
3 Bond Street
On the side wall facing the church end of the road:
36 Church Street
can be seen high up on side wall of 36 Church Street –
but it's easily missed. Perhaps, then, not the most effective
advertising. The shop became a bookshop (let's hope that it still is).
Corner of Chapel Street and Hamilton
The Art Deco, faience-clad building bears its name on
It is directly linked to...
1 Chapel Street
Crossways News features two tobacco advertisements
which hark back to earlier days. At the first floor level we find a
fine mirrored promotion:-
A UNIQUE TOBACCO'
Framed, glazed and
protected by the eves of the building, this does appear to be an
original advertisement, given the degradation of the silvering in the
lower corners of the mirror.
The shop's store-riser (the solid section between the
pavement and the base of the shop window) features ceramic tiling
spelling out the word:
in large buff capitals against a dark green background.
Former Town Hall, Prince of
Designed in 1809 by George Skipper in the Queen Anne
style it features, between the ground and first floors, a panel bearing
the coats of arms of the first lord of the manor, Sir Nicholas de
Weyland, of the mariner, Robert Bacon, of the locally-born Lord Mayor
of London, Sir Bartholomew Reade, and of the later lords of the manor,
Lord Suffield and Benjamin Bond-Cabbell, as well as those of other
prominent local families. 'TOWN HALL' is central. The building is
Listed Grade II.
Bond Street, now 'Norman
35 Church Street
This is the entrance to the Royal Mail Enquiry Office.
This decidedly florid relief features fruit, flowers and twisting
ribbons with the central cartouche above the vousoir showing:
The building dates to some time during the reign of
Edward VII who
was the King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and the
British Dominions, and Emperor of India from 1901 until his death in
1910. Very much an Edwardian building displaying
classical features, it stands directly opposite the impressive Parish
Church of St Peter & St Paul.