Grantham, Lincolnshire

Famous for, perhaps, only one thing: being the birthplace of one M. Thatcher, Grantham has an enigmatic vertical strip of lettering. It looks very much as if the building to the right of the image was built over an existing painted tradesman's sign. The sign itself certainly carries at least two generations of lettering, probably from the same company(?).
  Ipswich Historic Lettering: Grantham 1 Ipswich Historic Lettering: Grantham 2[Photographs courtesy: Richard Attenborrow]
The darker image to the left is closer to Richard Attenborrow's original photograph with an enhancement to the right. The upper strip of white which runs behind the broken down-pipe may have carried the company name in bold capitals. We can make out three variants of the word 'Builder', plus another service provided by this company:
'BUILDE
BUI--
GLAZI(er?)
---RO(?)
BUI--'

Ipswich Historic Lettering: Grantham 3
'CAFE
Upstairs'
2012. Here's a nice piece of painted brickwork; we particularly approve of the trompe l'oeil screw head at the top. It's from the old Co-op in Grantham, which is now closed and has been there since at least the fifties, we're told. Thanks to Richard Attenborrow for the image.

Ipswich Historic Lettering: Grantham WVS Refreshment Room
'THE WVS
REFRESHMENT
ROOMS'
Richard spotted this sign on Finkin Street, Grantham and it is presumably left over from the war. The red-brown arrow has stencilled white lettering on it and has either weathered over eighty years, or had another colour sprayed on top to partially obscure it. The location is behind the charity shop on the corner with the B1174 and points towards the doorway of  number 15 Finkin Street (or beyond). A second, black arrow of a similar shape is found to the upper right, behind the street sign. Incidentally, there is only one street named Finkin Street making it unique in Great Britain.
Ipswich Historic Lettering: Grantham WVS badge
The W.V.S. does indeed date back to World War II.
The Royal Voluntary Service (known as the Women's Voluntary Services (WVS) from 1938 to 1966; Women's Royal Voluntary Service (WRVS) from 1966 to 2004 and WRVS from 2004 to 2013) is a voluntary organisation concerned with helping people in need throughout England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. It was founded in 1938 by Stella Isaacs, Marchioness of Reading, as a British women's organisation to recruit women into the Air Raid Precautions (ARP) services to help in the event of War.






Home
Return to Historic Lettering from outside Ipswich
Please email any comments and contributions by clicking here.
Search Ipswich Historic Lettering
2004 Copyright throughout the Ipswich Historic Lettering website: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission