The entrance to Gippeswyk Park opens onto the very busy Ancaster
Road. The redbrick pillars bear stone sections with chisel capitals:
'GIPPESWYK' and 'PARK'; it is so good to have the ancient, Anglo-Saxon
name of the town immortalised in this way. Other variants of the early
spelling are shown at the foot of the page. The 'Park' pillar has a
metal plaque giving the very pacifist information:
PRESENTED TO THE
BOROUGH OF IPSWICH
IN 1910, BY
PHILIP WYNDHAM COBBOLD, J.P.
AS EXECUTOR AND IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE WISHES OF
FELIX THORNLEY COBBOLD, M.P., J.P.
TO BE MAINTAINED AS A PUBLIC PARKAND RECREATION GROUND,
AND NOT TO BE USED FOR THE DRILLING, OR INSTRUCTION OF
SOLDIERS, OR FOR ANY MILITARY PURPOSES WHATSOEVER.'
Felix Thornley Cobbold is commemorated on a plaque on the Reg
Driver Centre in Christchurch Park – an amenity which also exists
because of his philanthopy. He bequeathed to Ipswich, amongst other
things, 45 acres of land for Gippeswyk
Park to be established by the Borough, plus cash for fencing it.
The 'Gippeswyk' pillar embodies a postal wall box. This
Victorian box has been overpainted in 'pillar-box red' so many times
that the detail is encrusted and almost unreadable:
Some other 'original' variants on the town name are: Gippeswik,
Gyppewic, Gyppewicus, Gyppeswiz; later, Yppyswyche and Ipswich.
Please email any comments and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission