'With reference to your Ludlow page item - the name 'Smith & Co' on
the gable end of a building in town - this refers to an old company by
the name of Gaius Smith. Paul Bernard.' Thanks, Paul. The Geograph page which Paul
indicates gives a little more information. 'Bull Ring and King
Street rooftops. "Smith & Co" refers to the grocery business of
Gaius Smith, who in the late 1800s had shops at both 42 Bull Ring and 6
King Street, before moving to nos 9 and 10 King Street, the gable of
which is what is seen here with his company name. He also served as
Mayor of Ludlow from 1898-99 and was one of the founding Trustees of
the Zion Methodist Chapel in New Road.']
15 King Street
King Street, at number 15, we find the clothing
shop Mistral which occupies premises once belonging to a shop called
displayed in a decorative ceramic mosaic doorstep.
Maypole grocers (the shop still boasts preserved tiles inside) once
traded from here. One online reviewer comments: "Remember them well in
the 60s: supermarkets under the Lipton banner. They had meat counters
for the first time & some of my friends at Dewhurst left
worked for them & were fast tracked to Area managers, They
have centralised buying in those days & were buying from the
suppliers as ourselves & with the cost of packaging &
goods made in-house, They could only compete on convenience &
cleanliness. But as they upped their game, supermarkets won the day."
Maypole dairies/grocery was a national chain. Branches have been traced
in Tavern Street, Ipswich and there is a surviving 'MAYPOLE' step in Hamilton Road, Felixstowe.
Buttercross stands at the junction of King Street,
High Street and Broad Street.
Lower Broad Street
Just a few doors down the hill of Broad
Street on the left, there is an old shop which still has its gold
lettering on what must have been the inner front door to the premises.
Some parts are obscured by the shelving unit.
4-6 Upper Galdeford
In Upper Galdeford there
The map marks nos.
4 to 6 Upper Galdeford as 'Advertiser Buildings'.
W. F. Marks was
proprietor of the Ludlow Advertiser in the late nineteenth and early
twentieth centuries; the building was presumably originally
built as the newspaper's offices. Now rather mundane fast food
came to the town in 1853 when Ludlow
Station was connected to the Shrewsbury and Hereford line. Many new
buildings were built by the station to service the railway as well as
other developments which made use of the easy access to markets which
the railway offered. The most obvious – and much lettered
of these today is Marston's Mill (as seen from Tesco's car park).
Marston's Mill, Portcullis Lane
Foyer provides accommodation and training for
homeless young people in the Ludlow area. Marston's Mill, a long
disused grain store and well-known Ludlow landmark has been totally
refurbished. New floors were inserted below the roofs, which
necessitated cutting through the Victorian roof trusses and inserting
new steel structures without affecting the external appearance of the
14 Upper Linney
In the narrow hill called Upper Linney there is a
sign with characters in deep relief (and a little higgledy-piggledy in
alignment) on a house wall:
MILLERS ... CORN ... & SEED ... MERCHANTS'
numerals are particularly appealing.
See also Bridgnorth (includes the Severn
Valley Railway) and Ironbridge.
to Historic Lettering from outside
Please email any comments
and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
website: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without