junction of Handford Road and London Road there
is a row of buildings bearing a curious stone name plaque on a level
with the middle of the first storey windows. A name which we hadn't
heard of before:
Muriel Clegg (see Reading list) judges this to be
(probably) the earliest named and dated house plaque in the town.
above a shop-front of 137 London Road (a sub-Post Office, closed
in recent years and now a chippy) and residential front doors. There is
a central stop between
'Mile' and 'End', but also a comma after the name.
Very poor 2001 photograph
conjecture about the derivation. There is a milestone
not far from this site up London Road on the left, which may or may not
be significant. It is quite possible that this junction of a once
important arterial road into Ipswich, London Road which now only serves
as access to residential streets, lies one mile from the centre of
Ipswich (notionally Cornhill). The name of the terrace is also of
interest. We learn from our Street
Names page that:
'Colman Street: cut across the garden of Dr Colman in 1821. His house
and garden at the comer of Northgate Street are marked on the
Pennington map of 1778.'
Perhaps Dr Colman, or one of his relatives, owned property here when
the houses were completed in 1830. However, the different spelling
('Coleman') suggests another derivation.
There is a large, faint trade sign ('Corn, Hay... etc.') only a few
yards away from here on the corner of Handford Road and Cullingham Road.
Please email any comments
and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission