it appeared on the end wall on 17 February 2007. It appears to be an
embossed metal sign with raised, black-painted capitals which are
outlined in the same pale blue as the background in a black-bordered
cartouche. We know of no similar signs. The use of the preremptory
'Tolly Ales' suggests that this was an advertisement for Tollemache
products, rather than those of Tolly Cobbold. So it pre-dates the
the companies in 1957.
[UPDATE 13.10.2015: Having
looked agina at the old sign (below), it becomes clear that the lower
right part of the sign and render have broken away to reveal the red
brick wall inderneath. This suggests that the sign was in raised
plasterwork, then painted. Whether it was made separately, painted,
then raised and fixed in position on the render somehow is conjecture.
Does anyone recall this?]