This church in Bramford Lane,
on the west side of the railway bridge, has a fairly plain brick and
flint exterior by the architect N.F. Cachemaille Day. It was Listed
Grade II in 2011:-
ARCHITECTURE - It displays an accomplished architectural design
that uses modern materials and construction techniques to interpret
traditional forms in a sophisticated and highly individual manner.
DESIGNER - It was designed by Nugent Francis Cachemaille-Day, one of
the most prolific and influential church architects of the C20 and a
leading figure in the development of the Liturgical Movement in
MATERIALS - A well-chosen palette of material gives the building sharp
detailing, a crisp expression, and neatly refers to the vernacular
traditions of the region.
INTERIOR - The church has a spacious, light and uncluttered interior
with an elegant, sculptural use of contcrete and contrasting materials.
Many contemporary fittings and fixtures remain.
HISTORY - It is an early example in Britain of experimentation of
liturgical ideas, which became popular in church architecture during
the post-war years.
The Church of St Thomas was
completed in 1938 and consecrated in April of the same year. A new
church room was added to the north-east corner in the late 1950s and a
new church hall opened next door in 1967. A new vicarage was built to
the south of the church in 1983. It is known to be 'high Anglican'.
foundation stone at the base of
the tower has either been restored or replaced by the look of things:
'TO THE GLORY OF GOD
Edward Coleby Ransome (1864 -
Born at Ipswich in 1864, son
of James Edward Ransome (1839-1905), agricultural engineer, and his
wife Alice née Gross (1837-1929), who married at Alderton, Suffolk in
1863 and in 1871 were living at 'Sunny Side', 20 Fonnereau Road,
Educated at Haileybury, Great Amwell after which Edward became a
mechanical engineer in the family firm of Ransomes, Sims of Ipswich,
becoming Chairman of the Board there; in 1891 was living at 'Holmwood'
(the large house in the grounds of St Mary's Convent) , Woodbridge
Road, Ipswich. He married at Helston, Cornwall in 1893, Florence
Mitford Smith (1857-1948) and in 1901 a 38 year old mechanical engineer
living at Uppton Lodge, Warwick Road, Ipswich with his 43 year old wife, who was born at
Loddon, Norfolk and ten years later living at 'Highwood', Constitution
Hill, Ipswich. He was awarded the OBE in 1919 for services in the
supply agricultural machinery during World War I and was a Life Member
of the Ipswich Art Club 1913-1938. He was Mayor of Ipswich twice:
1912-1913 and 1918-1919. He died at Ipswich in 1939.
WAS LAID BY
THIRD IN THE