Thetford/West Runton stations
As well being the
presumed home of Boudicca, warrior queen of the Iceni - a tribe which
stretched all the way down to Ipswich, the Saxon capital of East
Anglia, the site of a Cluniac Priory in the 12th century, birthplace of
the revolutionary thinker Tom Paine, home of Duleep Singh - the last
Hindu Maharajah of the Punjab, and in the 1800s the place where Charles
Burrell set up his famous engineering works, as well as all this
Thetford has a railway station with its name and date incised in
a curved segment of brickwork above the door.
Thetford is on the Cambridge to Norwich line and once served as the
terminus for branch lines to Swaffham (closed by Dr Beeching
1964) and to Bury St Edmunds (closed 1953) which also called at the
town's other station Thetford Bridge.
While we're looking at Norfolk railways, let's feature:
'WEST RUNTON' station on the branch line from Norwich to Sheringham
(with plans afoot to remake the level crossing link to the steam line
from Sheringham to Holt!). West Runton, if it is known at all, is
famous for the West Runton Pavillion: a remote music venue close to the
sea which layed host to many touring rock bands in decades gone by. We
fondly remember the Rock Against Racism tour featuring The Ruts, Gang
Of Four and Misty In Roots. Oh yes, and West Runton is dominated by the
faux-Tudor fascade of the Links Hotel (popular with golfers) only a few
hundred yards accross the green from the rail station. The photograph
here is taken from the humpback bridge. But what a huge concrete sign
for such a small platform.
to Historic Lettering from outside
Please email any comments
and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission