is located on the North Norfolk
Coast. Its prime location meant that in the late 16th Century, Wells
(as it was known) was the major port for the area, with up to 19 ships
trading corn. Several of the old buildings can be found down the back
streets. Well's status as a port carried on well into the early 20th
Century, with the Granary and loading gantry built in 1903. This has
now been turned into luxury flats with a Quayside view. The name Wells
comes from the many spring wells that were around the town. Wells
became known as Wells-next-the-Sea in the 1800s when the increase in
travel meant it was needed to distinguish between similarly named
towns. The name was chosen as the town's official title by Wells Urban
District Council in 1956.
Coffee Shop. 21 Staithe Street,
Wells-Next-The-Sea, Norfolk stands towards the top of the gently
sloping hill down to the harbour in the main shopping street of Wells.
The art materials shop next door is a separate business now
clearly from the excellent mosaic doorsteps to the two shops, they were
once one business owned by a proprietor called:
tapering shape, the marble leading edge of the step
and curling metal kick plate on the bottom of the door is the same in
each entrance. So far we've been unable to track down the previous
business, so proudly proclaimed (twice) to this day (Christmas 2009).
tiled doorsteps: 'E.Smith' (excellent) in Woodbridge,
Hales Chemist Ipswich, 'Smith', Harwich, and Ann Williams'
fine collection (see Links).