'Saw this and thought of you!! -Jen Greatrex' This
fine example of a small shop advertising its wares comes from Harbour
Street in Whitstable on the northern coast of Kent. Our thanks to Jen
for sending this.
Lawson's Stores, 65 Harbour
BRUSHES, BROOMS ETC.
TEA at 1'6 Per
SHIPPING ... SUPPLIED'
The prominence of the advertisement for 'Royal Daylight Lamp
Oil' sheds a light (!) on the importance of such products before the
development of electricity supplies in the latter part of the 19th
century. The upper and lower lettering has been retouched in blue,
which may or may not be a Good Thing.
The Duke of Cumberland Hotel
Situated at the junction of Horsebridge Road and Harbour
Street (with an elevation extending down the latter, featuring a
arched, ceramic-tiled entrance and polychrome brickwork), The Duke of
Cumberland features a stained, leaded glass lantern situated in front
of a window above the central
front door, which faces High Street. This is lettered:
A Grade II Listed building, there has been an inn on this site
than 300 years. Known as the Noah’s Ark until 1747, landlord
Robert Chandler renamed it Duke William in honour of the Duke of
Cumberland who, a year earlier, had crushed the Scottish rebellion at
Culloden. In 1748 it became 'The Duke of Cumberland' and was used as
headquarters for the oyster and dredgermen. Fire swept through
the building in 1866. The Duke was rebuilt immediately and in 1867
William Lester applied for a license at the Petty sessions for 'The
Duke of Cumberland, recently burnt down but now rebuilt’. Note
that there is a rather nice blue and white enamelled metal sign 'Public
Telephone' on the front wall to the left.
SHEPHERD NEAME LTD.
Interestingly, the sides of the lantern are also lettered:
Whilst the advertising of the
attraction of a billiard table is understandable, we are unsure of
'Carace' (and it is 'carace',
not 'garage'). In the history of the game of carombole billiards, a "carom"
is the act of hitting two object balls with the cue ball in one stroke
(these days it would be called a 'cannon', presumably). Perhaps the
word 'Carace' relates to this? Or is it a separate bar game?
The blind window to the right of the frontage carries the sign:
NEAME & CO.
but it is unlettered in a 2009
photograph of the pub, so this is a typical – and rather admirable –
example of modern, 'Victorianised' display advertising. Shepherd
Neame claim to be Britain’s oldest brewer and have been based a short
distance away in Faversham, Kent, since 1698.
1 Oxford Street
Above: 'Wesleyan School 1874' and a wallful of advertisements to
On the corner of no. 1 Oxford Street and Argyle Road is a
side-wall where earlier tobacconist and sweet shop advertisements have
been picked out when the wall was painted.
Return to Historic Lettering from outside
Please email any comments and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering website: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express