Wolsey 450 commemorative brochure (1980)
Many thanks to John Field for the
loan of this publication. A PDF download is available (link at the
of this page).
This publication is dated 1980 to
coincide with the 450th anniversary of Cardinal Wolsey's death in
Leicester. It was published, and the cover (illustration sadly
uncredited) printed, by The East
Magazine Ltd, 6 Great Colman Street, Ipswich (Tel 54291). The text was
printed by Alderman Printing & Bookbinding Co. Ltd, Portman Road,
Ipswich IP1 2BN. Postcodes were fully introduced in the UK by 1974;
interestingly The East
Anglian Magazine didn't use theirs six years later.
Between 1867 and 1966 the The East Anglian Daily
Times/Evening Star newspaper offices occupied a fine,
turretted building in Carr Street, on the corner with the now
disappeared Little Colman Street (shown on a postcard view of Carr
Street on our Symonds page). This building
disappeared with the construction of the ill-fated Carr Precinct in
1966 and the company moved to Lower Brook Street (now in Princes Street
under Archant's ownership). By 1980 The East Anglian Magazine, an
offshoot of the EADT,
maintained offices behind the site of the original building, a shop
unit now occupied by a hairdresser (which has an advert on page 11).
Wolsey 450 is a small time
capsule with advertisements in the style of the time, many of them for
comapnies and shops which no longer exist.
Ipswich Borough Councl's Department of Recreation & Amenities,
under Randall Bevan, has a full page advert for The Corn Exchange
Entertainments, Conference & Arts Centre. The conversion of the Corn Exchange
from its original purpose, then an indoor provisions market into a
leisure-orientated function was carried out in 1972 by local architects
Johns Slater Haward. Also advertised: 'You can earn good interest by
investing in BOROUGH OF IPSWICH BONDS
– repayable in full at end of agreed period' – a method of raising
public funding which might be considered in the 21st century, when
local councils are so strapped for cash...
Page 6 has an advertisement Explore
old Ipswich for the Town Trail (some signs for which can still
be seen) and directing visitors to the Tourist Information Centre in
the lower section of the Town Hall, with its entrance on the upper part
of Princes Street. Ipswich lost its TIC, then housed in the Church of St Stephen – converted for
this purpose as part of the building of the Buttermarket Shopping
Centre in the early 1990s – during the Coronvirus pandemic of 2020.
Page 9 shows an advert for '257 Radio Orwell… The station with
the nicest listeners'. At that time this commercial local station was
run from Electric House. Page
12: 'Grimwades: a name generations have grown up with. And now as we
move into the 80's we shall continue to maintain our high reputation
for quality, value, and service. The friendly store for all the family.'
The Wolsey 450 organising committee list contains names which
many will remember. The list of events includes 'Exhibition depicting
Wolsey and His Times, and the History of the Post as initiated by
Wolsey'. Open daily in the Robert Cross Hall of the Corn
Exchange.' Another echo of the past – the Robert Cross Hall (named
after the Chief Executive of the Borough at the time of local
government reorganisation in 1973) was converted into a small
supermarket in 2011, which closed during the pandemic of 2020.
Articles in Wolsey 450:-
Wolsey, the unloved Cardinal
by J.J. Malling (page 3 to 13),
The Cardinal's college by
William Serjeant (page 19 to 23).
Wolsey's procession by Stanley
Smith (page 25 to 27) [the map of the 1528 procession is shown above],
Royal Mail by Gladys Wilton
(page 29 to 30).
Download the PDF
See also: Wolsey
and his College.
Please email any comments
and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission