It is only a date,
rather crudely drawn in relief and painted black against the
surrounding plasterwork, but what a date.
with the sixes hardly
more than inverted commas. 40 Bolton Lane stands between St Margaret's
Church and the Woolpack public house. The small oval plaque on the
wall, photographed in May 2010, gives some of the building's pedigree
and the restorer's website (see Links)
tells us more.
This was the Ipswich Historic Buildings Trust’s first
project, as indicated by the plaque near the corner: a
pair of small derelict 17th Century Grade 2 Listed cottages in
Ipswich's Central Conservation Area. These were renovated and converted
to a single family house. The property known as “The
Wrestlers” (40 Bolton Lane, presumably once an inn) may date
the reign of Charles II and bears the date 1667 as part of the first
floor pargetted plaster panel decoration. The building stood outside
the mediaeval core of Ipswich in the parish of St Margaret and when
constructed would have been on the fringes of open countryside on the
lane leading to Tuddenham and Westerfield as shown on
Pennington’s map of 1778 map of the area.
The architect for the Trust’s scheme
Adam Gordon of Peter Barefoot & Partners, Ipswich. Here's a
image of The Wrestlers in a somewhat more dilapidated condition.
It's only a few yards down Bolton Lane before one passes a dated house
and the Garratt Memorial Hall with an even earlier date than The
Please email any comments
and contributions by clicking here.
For more IBPT projects see the links on our Blue plaques below the 'Beecholme' entry.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission