The Crown Inn, The Street
Dating back to the 12th century, this is a traditional Suffolk
coaching inn which bears 'olde worlde' lettering above the front door
on a shaped white panel. A similarly styled sign can be seen on a side
wall idicating the car park. The lettering is clearly retouched
regularly. The ceramic 'LACONS' sign on the frontage is
also seen on the Knodishall Butcher's Arms.
page for more on this long-defunct Great Yarmouth brewery.
Westleton Primitive Methodist Chapel,
The palladian-style entrance on the side lane echoes that facing
the road and it bears rather stylish cameo capitals:
The deeply cut stone panel is
shown to good effect in the raking spring light.
The frontage of the building bears a large panel with
suprisingly small lettering:
Compare this with a similarly
named building (dated 1839) in Rope Walk,
Westleton Village Hall bears a fine clock above its central
[V:R: Victoria Regina.] The Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria was
celebrated on 20 June 1887 on the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary
of her accession on 20 June 1837. Many plaques, renamings and monuments
still exist to mark the event.
Return to Historic Lettering from outside
Please email any comments and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering website: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express