Ipswich Church Congress map of Ipswich: 1927
This 106 page booklet (22cm x 14cm) was produced for the
Church Congress held in Ipswich in 1927. The decorative cover bears an
illustration of Cardinal Wolsey with the Wolsey Gate in the background.
The fold-out map shown above is hand-drawn and lettered, produced by
'W.E. Harrison, Printer & Publisher, The Ancient House, Ipswich'.
There are one or two anomalies. To the east of the town, the Felixstowe
to Westerfield branch line is shown crossing Spring Road, heading north
past the end of Ashemere Grove and apparently running under a bridge on
Bell Vue Road and Woodbridge Road together. The railway actually runs
under a bridge on Woodbridge Road, as shown on the street maps on our Belle Vue Road page.
It is interesting to note that number 24, circled in red just
off the map at bottom right (on the junction of Felixstowe Road and
Bucklesham Road), opened in 1927, presumably when the map
was made it was still 'in course of erection'. It was designed by the
diocesan architect, H. Munro Cautley, who with his partner Leslie
Barefoot had a practice in Cornhill Chambers
in the Thoroughfare. This was the first of three
Ipswich churches designed by Cautley therefore St Andrew, Britannia
Road and All Hallows, Landseer Road do not appear on the map.
Please email any comments
and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission