There are curlicues decorating
this obliterated sign in North Street, presumably the rain downpipe is
a later addition. We cannot trace any information about this former
'BAPTIST CHAPEL JAN 1 1811'
This Chapel was founded in 1811,
though it is now closed, but it is not known when. Mentioned in Non-Conformist Chapels and Meeting Houses,
Gloucestershire (1986) where it is described as on the north
side of the street, and "approached through a passage with semicircular
arch at the south end inscribed 'Baptist Chapel Jan 1 1811' ... the
church appears to have united with Congregationalists about 1878 when
Union Chapel was built although a separate Baptist congregation may
have resulted from the merger and continued to meet here".
This is appears to have been the case at least until 1923, as Kelly's
Directory of that year lists both a Baptist Chapel founded in 1811,
with seats for 150, and the Union Chapel, founded in 1878. The Union
Chapel referred to is in Gretton Road, and is now Cotswold Christian
Centre, but the former Baptist Chapel is now in secular use. The space
after 'JAN' is a puzzle: it is too large for a mere '1', surely? It has
had filler roughly slapped over it.
Opposite the church on Gloucester Street. The different fonts
used either side of the keystone are intriguing: condensed serif'd caps
on the left and heavier, fatter sans-serif to the right; perhaps it was
just a matter of the signwriter filling the available spaces.
Winchcombe Garage still appears to trade from other premises in the
town. Cottteswold Dairy (Winchcombe) was founded in 1938 and is based
in Tewkesbury. The metal street name, rather pale, is: Gloucester
This was one
of several informative plaques to be found in Winchcombe, but when
these photographs were taken in February 2013, the plaque had been
removed from its position to the left of the archway.
'KNOWN AS BEATESTRET OR
Incidentally, there is a CTC 'winged wheels' painted metal sign
on the wall of the 16th century coaching inn, The White Hart in High
Street. A similar sign can be found in Upper
Brook Street, Ipswich.
BETARESTRET AS LONG AGO
AS 1200, THIS WAS THE MAIN
HIGHWAY TO GLOUCESTER.
MANY OF THE COTTAGES WERE
OCCUPIED BY CLOTH WEAVERS'
BRANCH NO. 5'
longer a Co-op (that's a few doors awayto the left) but a shop that
preserves the past by revealing this lovely old Co-op sign in gold
condensed capitals; the small tilted 'THE and 'NEW', the superior 'Y'
floating above a dot and the 'BRANCH No. 5' are a joy. One can only ask
if there was an 'old' Co-op in Upton, or was this an early branch of a
newly formed Co-op when the movement was young. This tiny shop with its
classy sign is a signifier of the huge national movement which was to
Upton's local historian (see http://www.upton.uk.net/history/coop.html)
tells us that The Worcester Co-operative Society was founded in
March 1881. In June 1901, after pressure from their existing members in
Upton, the committee was persuaded to open the Society's fifth branch:
it was on the west side of Old Street and was in premises which were
leased for three years. Members increased: in one month over sixty
joined from Upton. In the first year's trading there was a turnover of
£1,480 at the Upton branch with £132 being returned to
members as dividends. In June 1904 the new shop was opened with a
flourish. The steamer The Duchess of York was hired for £6.6s.0d.
to bring the visitors from Worcester, the band played and Mr Roy, a
long serving member of the Committee who performed the opening
ceremony, was presented with a silver gilt key. The outside of the shop
was redecorated in 1906 by G. H. Price for the sum of £3.9s.Od.,
and in 1909 he also repainted the sign for £1.7s.6d. This is
probably the sign which can be seen today. By October 1926 the Co-op
activities were concentrated in larger premises a few doors away and
No. 23, although considered as a Co-op pharmacy, was eventually sold.
'JOHN LAUGHTON[?] Licenced
Brewer and Retailer of Beer
Cider Spirits & Trading in Tobacco'
Old Street. This anonymous,
unnumbered, double-fronted house on the street out of Upton bears a
fugitive lincencing sign showing that it was once a public house and
throughout the Ipswich
website: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without