4-6 Elm Street. This stuccoed, cream-white painted building
glows in the winter sunshine. It is Listed Grade II. Interestingly, it
began life as two separate houses.
is picked out in gold with
mirror-image inkpots with (tiny-so they fit) quill pens. Elm
Street is one of those thoroughfares with a lot of professional
'practices' living on it (accountants, lawyers etc.). One assumes that
Quill Court was chosen as a name because of the proximity of lawyers
and law courts, notably at the far end until the new law courts were
built in the 21st century.
The listing text:
"An early C19 building originally 2 houses converted into an office
block. Wings project to the east at the north and south ends. In circa
1920 the parapet was added and the front was stuccoed (probably
originally it had a stuccoed front as other buildings in the street).
In 1965 a single storey block was built between the wings, in Georgian
style. 3 storeys. 1:3:1 window range of double-hung sashes with glazing
bars (mostly original). The ground and first storey windows in the
wings are set in slightly recessed panels. Rear modern extension is not
of special interest."
See also our Lady Lane page (for St
Mary-At-Elms) and our More almhouses
page for Mrs Smith's Almshouses, both in Elm Street. The 'Ipswich Board
School' lettering can be found on our More
in Museum Street are not far away.
The junction of Elm Street, Arcade
Street, Lion Street and King Street is nearby .
Other dated rainwater hoppers can be seen in The Walk (shown on
our Plaques page) and at Gatacre Road School.
Please email any comments and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express