The title of this page could refer to several places in Ipswich.
The most recent is the 'new' Odeon which was built on the old Mann
Egerton site at Majors Corner. Opened in August 1991, this eyecatcher
building at the junction of Woodbridge Road and St Margarets Street and
St Helens Street – opposite The Mulberry
Tree – was built as a multiplex cinema (total capacity 1,550), an
alternative to sub-dividing the next-door Regent
Theatre. Confusingly, the Regent, the largest theatrical venue in
East Anglia, had once been renamed 'The Odeon'. The 'new' Odeon stood
empty since its closure in August 2005. It is a modern take on an Art
Deco cinema design of the 1930s; some like it, some deride it.
Then, of course, there was the purpose-built Odeon, opened in 1936, at
the top of Lloyds Avenue becoming a bingo
hall in 1982. This building also had the 'ghost' of 'ODEON' visible on
In September 2018 The Hope Church (formerly the Orwell Christian
Fellowship since 1984), then based in Fore Hamlet, purchased the
building and by 2020 had been refurbishing and adapting the building
inside and out.
images courtesy Tim Leggett
The 'ghost' of the earlier 'ODEON' sign is picked out on the
discoloured metal cladding, repleat with drill-holes.
Tim Leggett tells us that: 'there is another sign on the
Woodbridge Road side which just says HOPE'.
The Regent Theatre article on this
website gives the origin of the name 'Odeon'.
Please email any comments and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express