Bethesda Church, St Margaret's Street
Architectural features fronting public buildings often
provide spaces for
integral lettering. The most conventional is the Bethesda Baptist
sans serif capital letterform ideally suited to the temple-like,
portico, the pediment supported by four polished granite columns. The
dates from 1913 and was funded by Mr Arthur Page, a Bristol lawyer, as
a memorial to his mother who died in 1911 at the age of eighty-two and
the architect was F.G. Faunch.
Bethesda was originally the name of a pool in Jerusalem, on the path of
the Beth Zeta Valley, and is also known as the Sheep Pool. It is
associated with healing. The building stands opposite the Egerton and Halberd signs and Northgate Street.
Behind the pillars are two foudation stones:
STONE WAS LAID TO THE GLORY OF GOD
ELDEST SURVIVING SONE OF THE LATE
MRS. SUZANNAH PAGE
ON 3RD JULY 1912.
"MINE HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED AN HOUSE OF
ISAIAH C.56 V.7.
FREDK. G. FAUNCH
'THIS STONE WAS
LAID TO THE GLORY OF GOD
ON BEHALF OF THE DIACONATE
E. CHILVERS, E. LAST, J. MOTUM, B. OLIVER, H. REYNOLDS, J. SAYER, C.
"THIS IS THE LORD'S DOING: IT IS MARVELLOUS
IN OUR EYES."
PSALM 113 V.23
Above: the Betehsda Church in the background, across St Margarets
Plain, with the 'Halberd Inn'
lettering in the foreground on Northgate
Street; see our Egertons
page for more on this.
Ipswich County Library,
1 Northgate Street
A more intriguing letterface appears above the
Northgate Street entrance
to the County Library. This wonderfully eclectic Victorian frontage
its arches and stained glass boasts an imposing entrance. Beneath the
balcony is a circular moulded crest (see also Ipswich
Board School in Argyle Street - the close-up below surely shows sea
horses rampant supporting the town shield?) and below that the serif'd
in capitals which seems to blend medieval and art noveau influences.
Chaucer's presence in the stained glass and the traditions upon which
Morris's Arts & Crafts Movement were based, that's about right.
Henry Munro Cautley was the architect responsible for the
rather fine frontage.
Truly the entrance to a cathedral of knowledge,
learning and reading, the
gently curving lettering above the door says it all. The refurbishment
this fascia accompanied a major extension of the library buildings in
mid-nineties. The curved and decorative ceilings and fine stained glass
(principally in the Lecture Hall and Reference Library's Northgate
have been preserved.
For other buildings with the Ipswich coat of
arms click here.
The photographs below show details of the
stonework around the entrance. It wasn't until we noticed the '1924' image on a library web page run by Jonathan
Clift, that we though that we ought to pay a little more
attention. The dated motif is surrounded by stonemason's
paraphernalia (mallet, dividers, chisel, set square) with bookish
carvings opposite and the pages and quill pen surrounded by scrollwork
The Public Sculpture of Norfolk & Suffolk website (see Links) tells us:
"The main panel is set between the turrets framing the northern gabled
entrance to the Library and above the doorway. Ipswich's coat of arms
is held by two wyverns. The arch above the doorway is filled with
decoration. In the centre are books with a bookmark showing a crown.
Other niches include an owl (famed for its wisdom) a squirrel eating a
nut (storing information) and on the left a snake with an apple (the
temptation of knowledge); to the right they continue with two
water-rats and rabbit nibbling. The theme is continued in the carving
of the door frame with another set of books in the centre flanked by a
fish, frog, parrot, monkey and architect's set square with cartouche
dated on 1924 on one side and a bird and fish on the other. The brick
buttresses are decorated with bronze roundels with lion heads. The
Library, built at the modest cost of £32,000, aimed at a Collegiate
effect with its Gothic windows, oak bookcases and plaster ornaments.
The detailed decoration ranges from references to books and knowledge
to display of the wild life and the exotic which could be researched
This finely detailed building has grapevine rainwater
Much more on the story of the public library service in Ipswich and the
building of this Carnegie Library can be found on our Rosehill case study page.
'Lectures' (false) entrance to
Ipswich Library, Old Foundry Road
Meanwhile, hiding round the corner in Old Foundry
(opposite Ewers Grey-Green Coaches)
the 'Reading' and 'Lectures' entrances to the Library's Reading Rooms
Lecture Hall with attractive typefaces used on the lintels of these
false doorways - the entrance since refurbishment is just visible to
left of the photograph below. So, why has one got screwed-on characters
and the other carved characters (repleat with full stop: always an
in old signs)? Old Foundry Road runs from Northgate
Street to Carr Street and was once called St Margaret's Ditches as
it formed part of the old town's defensive ramparts. Robert Ransome acquired premises in this
street for his foundry, which operated here until the move to the
Orwell Works completed in 1849. The Old Foundry gave a new name to the
street. Until the 1930s there were still houses here built on the top
of the earthen rampart and approached by steps from the road. See our Blue plaques page for detail relating to
The crisp, elegant serif'd capitals are
particular satisfying here with the depth of the relief carving
particularly noticeable on the full stop unnecessarily, but rather
joyfully, appended to the name.
The Regent Theatre, St Helens Street
Hiding in the shadows of the roof overhang on the front
of the largest live
venue in East Anglia, we find 'THE
St Helens Street. Partially
restored in the eighties (and more fully later), it's certainly a
cleaner fascade now, the
more readable. For many years this was called The Gaumont Cinema (plus
small dancehall), live music and drama being slotted between the film
All those years with hardly anyone noticing the lettering of the
name, reverted to since restoration, high above the entrance.
The detail in the lower part of this image shows:
by the setting sun in March 2004. The clean clear capitals have a
typically Art Deco
but shouldn't that 'G' have more of a middle bar? It reads more like
'Recent'. The tapering, clockwise design of the 'G' is intriguing.
Above: a picture from the 1950s or 1960s when a
'GAUMONT' sign covered the lettering. There seems to have been a lamp
to illuminate the Gaumont sign attached to the 'keystone' of the
central window; a metal plate is still visible here in the 2014
The Regent is an important Art Deco building, designed in 1929 by
classic theatre architect William Edward Trent for Provincial
Cinematography Theatres. So, a large venue designed as a cinema, with
the capacity to stage theatrical performances.
This detail from Pennington's map of Ipswich
1778 shows, at the top of Northgate Street, the legend 'Gate'
indicating the site of the original Bar-gate into the medieval town.
Here is a run-down of the old and modern names of streets:-
St Margarets Street was called Rotten Row,
Crown Street was called Clay Lane,
Tower Ramparts and Old Foundry Road were called 'Margarets Ditches',
Tower Street was called Tower Lane in 1778,
Fonnereau Road was called Dairy Lane,
Dial Lane was 'Cook Row' and St Lawrence Street was 'Fruit Market'.
Great Colman Street did not exist, but the land ownership off Northgate
Street is indicated as 'P. Colman Esq' (see Street
For more lettering examples in
St Helens Street
try County Hall, IBH, H.W.
Turner, Tramway Place and Hales
See our Named buildings
page for more specific examples. See also our Dated buildings page for a
chronological list of dated buildings and structures on this website;
our Roundwood Road page has specific
examples of named/dated buildings.
Please email any comments and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission