how many people notice this notice.
under the gutter...)
They managed the
superior 'T', but failed on the possessive apostophe of "Dog's". As
noted elsewhere, the commissioners of street
nameplates – and their manufacturers – "don't do apostrophes", except in rare
examples such as "St Edmund's Road" as shown on our Blue plaques page.
image, after repainting
This is attached to The Plough public house on the corner with Turret
Lane (which gets a bit lost in the Old
Cattle Market bus station). We learn from the Suffolk CAMRA website
(see Links) that the original building dates
from the 17th century. At some time in late 1880s this building was
much reduced in size when Dogs Head Street was widened and
straightened for trams. Dogs Head Street had for centuries before that
been no more than a narrow lane. Also of note is the fact that The
Plough is one of a handful of buildings in the town to feature an Ipswich window (seen above the corner
Why "Dog's Head"?
The rather grisly source of this strange street name is an
inn called The Dogs Head in the Pot (see
Street name derivations) which stood on
the Brook Street
corner in the seventeenth century. It was The Dogs Head in Pot Lane in
1694. It seems to have been called The White Hart and The Punchbowl at
The Dog's Head in the Pot Inn depicted by illustrator McIntyre in
Ipswich Building Society's 1849-1899
Golden Jubilee book. Most strikingly, the turret and spirelet
are present, reflected in the replacement IBS building...
See our Brook Street page for a more
recent image of the building (and its crest).
See our Princes Street page for 'Mutual
House' on the corner of King Street: the town centre branch of IBS from
There is more on this street on the Edme
See our Turret Lane
page for a 1902 map of the area.
Please email any comments
and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission