Street / Tyler Street
The rather obscured name plaque shown below sits
between numbers 17 and 19 Purplett Street:
Many house name plaques around
Ipswich bear the letters F.L.S. It stands for Freehold Land Society.
The Ipswich and Suffolk Freehold Land Society,
formed in 1849
the major driver in building Victorian housing developments around
Ipswich (see our Rosehill case study
for one of the most well known areas,
'California'). The name was truncated to Freehold Land
Society and the organisation later became the Ipswich Building Society.
A view of Purplett Street from the Hawes Street end; the name
plaque is sited above the blue bin.
Street name derivations for the variants
in the 'Puplett' family name and the relatively recent change to the
The photograph below left shows what is left of
Tyler Street in 2014 – one terrace of houses and one corner property,
the former corner shop –
since the major reshaping of the road down to Bourne Bridge, bypassing
the northern part of Wherstead Road. At one time this street would have
been closely built on both sides and running down to Stoke Quay (later
called New Cut West). Three thoroughfares used to run more-or-less
parallel from Great Whip Street/Wherstead Road eastwards to the river,
each named after benefactors of the town’s charities: Richard Felaw
(died 1483), Richard Purplett (more correctly 'Puplett', died
c. 1720), and 'Tyler'...
[UPDATE 5.8.2014: Here is a
quotation about Tooley's and Smart's
Almshouses from White's
Directory of Suffolk 1855:
"... SMART'S FOUNDATION produces about £480 p.a., arising from the
following property, under the will of Wm. Smart, in 1598; viz., a farm
of 372A.[acres], and a piece of water of
5-and-a-halfA. at Fakenham [sic;
presumably 'Falkenham', rather
than the Norfolk town]
and Kirton, let for £420; a third part of a farm of 91A.
at Creeting, let for £150; and a fifth-part of the
above-named farm of 190A. at
Brandon. One-third of the farm at Creeting was purchased with £300,
left by Wm. Tyler in 1643, for schooling, clothing, and apprenticing
poor children." So William Tyler
(died 1643) is the third benefactor of the town's charities
commemorated in these street names.]
Street name derivations. Looking
at the maps of this area on our Felaw Street
page, these names appear between the 1848 and the 1867 maps, so they
are Victorian impositions when new housing and other developments
The street namplate at this time is virtually unreadable
from a distance.
Above numbers 14 and 16 is the
terrace name plaque with an unusual use of italic caps:
F.L.S + 1884'
See above for the link to 'F.L.S.'
(Carolyn Saxon, contributor to this website from Florida, was born
& raised at number 20.)
Please email any comments and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission