29 Elm Street
A gateway to the north of the St Mary-at-Elms tower takes you through to the St Mary-at-Elms cottage of 1487 (although the Listing text quoted below mentions 1467): named by many as the oldest inhabited building in Ipswich. Compare this with the dendrochronolgical date of the Isaac Lord house and we think it's a tie...). It once stood in the grounds of Thoma Seckford's estate and housed those who looked after his stables. Thomas Seckford (1515-1587), M.P. for the borough, founder of Woodbridge School and courtier of Elizabeth I, built a mansion, Great Place, at the north of the estate fronting Westgate Street. For illustrations of the Great Place, see our page which includes the section 'Before Willis'. In 1846 the dilapidated mansion was partially demolished to cut through Museum Street (incidentally the bulbous bannisters – and perhaps the staircase – in Arlington's Restaurant, Museum Street come from Great Place). The cottage was restored in 1984-5 and now houses a Parish Room on the ground floor with a flat above. The church and public sculpture are well worth a visit; a taste of Walsingham in Ipswich with very ancient parts of the building such as the 11th century Norman doorway still in use. Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches website gives further insights and is listed on our Links page.
The Listing text reads: "A picturesque group of C15-16 timber-framed and plastered cottages, now tenement. They stand at the north side of St Mary at the Elms Churchyard with the pleasant greensward of the graveyard between them and the Church. 2 storeys. The east cottage has a cross wing at the west end and a jettied upper storey on the whole front. The cross wing has exposed joists and remains of brackets with capitals and shafts. It has a bay window with casements with glazing bars and small panes. The windows generally are small casements with glazing bars. There is the remains of a moulded wall plate and part of a billet moulded bressumer. The main block has a range of mullioned lightson the 1st storey. This cottage is said to be dated 1467. The cottage at the west end has fewer original features. Roofs tiled." As far as we know there are no visible letters or numerals on these buildings.
Incidentally, just over the wall to the left of these cottages is The Black Horse public house (see that page for another view of the cottage) which has a claim to being the birthplace of Thomas Wolsey.
The Church of St Mary-at-Elms, No 1 Churchyard
(St Mary-at-Elms Cottage)
No 25, Smith's Almshouses – see the image below – & Nos 29 to 33
(odd) Elm Street form a group as detailed on the British Listed
Buildings website (see Links)
St Mary-at-Elms is the Anglo-Catholic church which is home to the
wooden sculpture of Our Lady of Ipswich by