ersatz pub lettering on windows which looks
convincing. We include them here as an example of nostalgic decoration
which can also be seen on the genuinely very old (16th or 17th century)
Spread Eagle public house in Eagle Street.
around 1910 the public house which stood at the
junction of Freehold Road and Cauldwell Hall Road (opposite the jaws of
Road) was The Lion's Head, but
in 2012 it is called 'The Old Times
Guest House'. We noticed the frosted glass lettering in the ground
floor windows and it was only when these photographs were taken in
November 2012 that it became clear (no pun intended) that they were
stick-on vinyls. Almost certainly.
Freehold Road side (you can see the reflection
of the '1900'
grocery shop opposite):
'frosting' here is very convincing; the
words advertise the licenced premises wares and provide a certain
privacy for those drinkers within.
single sash window pane has:
and on the
Cauldwell Hall Road frontage:
say that the owners have gone a bit over the
top by the time we get to 'Tea Rooms'. There are several other windows
at this level which have had the more plain 'frosted' panels added to
The only other frosted/engraved glass lettering on pubs we know of is The Old Bell
in Over Stoke and The
Duke of York in Woodbridge Road.
chemist shop in Fore Street has
Further up Cauldwell Hall Road is a monogrammed date on the Co-op shop. See also Marlborough Road house names and Cauldwell Hall Road house names.
Please email any comments
and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without