clear why it's taken until 2012 to make web
page for Hadleigh, but in strolling around on a cold February
afternoon, we cam across some unexpected delights.
At the far end of the High Street is Bridge Street and, taking our life
in our hands with busy traffic, we took these photographs of a
vestigial lettering panel which is covered by the modern metal street
sign. We're having some difficulty making out the
curly font used for the company name, but below it (with other
lettering underneath) we think is:
remembers the name of the firm, please click the 'Contact' link at the
foot of the page.
STOVE & BEDSTEAD
Shoulder of Mutton (former
public house) at 126 High Street
The absence of the name
Tolly (for 'Tollemache') indicates that
this lettering predates the merger of the two breweries in 1958. The
curving relief capitals above the smaller characters and ampersand
shows that this lettering is well cared for. The buildings to the
left were clearly(the original?)
part of the Shoulder
Of Mutton Inn. The certainly have that tavern look about the
architecture with a large access to the cellar at pavement level. A
photograph found on the invaluable Suffolk CAMRA website (see Links)
indicates that the building was restored in 1918 and that the whole
frontage was the inn. Thanks to them for permission to use their image.
In the above 2012 photograph, you can still see the horizontal bar in
right from which the inn sign originally hung.
ALES & SPRITS'
The CAMRA site gives us
interesting information that the
building is believed to date from the 16th century. Their list of
publicans runs from 1823 until Mrs Alice L. Sargeant in 1922. The pub
closed for business in 1922 and is now at least two private residences.
Period picture of the Shoulder of Mutton
courtesy Suffolk CAMRA
See also the Pubs
& Off-licences page and the Tolly Cobbold House & Brewery
pages; also Felixstowe, Needham Market, Manningtree for more examples of
Also in the High Street are a couple examples of dated house fronts
with intials (probably of the original owner) incorporated. This one at
79-81 High Street took our fancy:
The naive quality of the
characters is endearing, also the raised swag and decoroative motifs
picked out in dark red against white.
The Coffee Tavern, 66 High Street
62-66 High Street is a very attaractive building with leaded light
fenestration on the first floor ('Ipswich
windows'), topped by a modillion cornice and
decorative frieze, all nicely painted. It was only in 2015 that we
noticed that the leaded light third from the left has a date in the
centre of the 'fan light': '1676'.
This building is Listed Grade I. The Listing text reads:
'Nos 62 to 66 (even) HIGH STREET (North East Side)
TM 0242 3/108 26.4.50.
An exceptional and important C17 building with much fine and original
detail. 2 storeys and attics, timber framed and plastered, roofs steep
pitched and tiled. 3 gables at back and more original detail. The South
front upper storey is the most interesting feature. It has a richly
carved modillion cornice and fine range of 6 windows with original lead
glazing. Each window is of 3 lights with arched central light. (cf.
Sparrowe's House, Ipswich). Most of the fittings are original. In the
arched head of 1 central light, the date l676 is worked in lead. The
upper storey formerly projected in front but has been underbuilt in
brick with several small shop fronts. There are 6 flat-headed dormer
windows. NMR photos. Nos 60 to 68 (even) form a group.'
Walking past the church and Deanery and down a passage to the
Guildhall, the remarkably well-kept pump can be seen. Clearly marked
'RANSOMES IPSWICH' in a circular format:
'A smartly-painted cast iron pump in the Market Place, Hadleigh,
Suffolk, sporting a coat of arms which was awarded to the Town in 1618,
and described as: "azure a chevron erminoise between three woolsacks
argent". And the crest "on a helm a wreath or and azure, a mount vert
thereon a lamb standing argent holding a banner azure with a woolsack
argent, the staff or mantled argent doubled gules, tasselled or".' This
description from the Village Pumps website (see Links).
It's instructive that we have not been able to find any similar
lettering in Ipswich apart from the shadowy characters 'Ransomes' on the old
electric lorry and trolley bus depot, despite the company's huge
importance in the story of the town. It is also a shame that the only
Ipswich water pump on this site is tucked away behind the Isaac Lord buildings (and nowhere near as
Near to Partidge's extensive
hardware shop on the High Street stands an obelisk with inscriptions.
Clearly restored in the late 19th century, the leading in the
characters which show the destinations and distances has almost all
fallen, or been picked away. Interesting that the distance to London is
shown in Arabic numerals and all others are Roman; perhaps 'LXIV' is
too big to fit onto the lower tablet.
to Historic Lettering from outside
Please email any comments
and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
website: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without