Road area (house names)
This catch-all name for part of central-west Ipswich includes
houses in the area between Norwich Road (from Barrack Corner westwards)
and Handford Road. The whole area can be seen as stemming from the
estate of Richard Dykes Alexander, whose striking, bank-like house is
in St Matthews Street (as shown on our Blue
plaques page). Our Slavery
abolitionist street names page tells the story and shows an 1867
map of the early street layout.
The dwellings here range from some impressively appointed "gentlemen's
town houses" to very modest terraced houses. The way in which the
ownership and the inhabitants of the housing has changed over the
decades informs the condition of the buildings we see today. Families
owning large houses are perhaps becoming rarer; such large properties
are tending to be bought as 'business assets' to be rented out to a
succession of short-term tenants. This latter practice leads, in many
cases, to houses and gardens being neglected and even abused. Good,
well-built houses usually do best when they are lived in long-term and
As elsewhere on this website, this is a selection of house names in the
area and does not seek to be comprehensive.
Let's start with the junction of the upper part of Portman Road
(formerly Mill Road) and Handford Road, looking north. The striking
timber building at the left with its ventilated turret and weather-vane
stands at the end of the garden of Tower House (see the next
photographs); it isn't lettered but is well worth recording here. We
learn from the James Bettley's Suffolk
Pevsner (see Reading list) that it was
built as a school of music by the original owners of the house. The
rear gardens of the houses in Dalton Road experience a considerable
drop in the surrounding roads with retaining walls; some have
subterranean garages accessed from Handford Road. The 'music school' is
suspended at the upper garden level and, judging by the two sets of
gates, has been built with a void beneath it, presumably for storage of
Above: 1 Dalton Road has two capstones on the brick gate-posts;
only one visible when we visited reading 'TOWER', so the other one is
presumably: 'HOUSE'. Perhaps it was named after a tower
windmill which once stood here on Mill Road?
Above left: 7 Dalton Road bears the simple plaque 'A.D.
1879' high in the gable.
Above right: Dalton Lodge at 14 Dalton Road (no lettering built-in, but
the house name on a sign on the left gate-post). A fine example of the
wealthier town house of the late 19th century.
Above left: 25 Dalton Road has the lettering: 'FIRBANK'
on the stone insert
in each brick gate-post which support large gates. Firbank is Listed
Grade II. A second set of gates, with unlettered supports, lies further
up the wall to the east. The house itself ,behind the wall and
vegetation, has two gables facing Dalton Road; it appears in The
Society's original Local list
(1985, see Reading list). It is dated at
mid-19th century and was the home of noted Ipswich architect Martin
Slater of the practice Johns Slater Haward. The
next-door 'Plantation House' at 11-13 Burlington Road appears on our Named buildings page.
Above right: an end-of terrace house in 'DILWYN ST. WEST'
displays a home-made street nameplate on the low front wall.
Above: 23 Stevenson Road; on the edge of the capstones are
incised: 'TUMACO ... COTTAGE'. It is certainly a rather
grand, double-fronted cottage. The source of the name,
Tumaco, is a port city and municipality in the Nariño Department,
Colombia by the Pacific Ocean. It is located on the southwestern corner
of Colombia, near the border with Ecuador in South America. The house
is on the corner with Dilwyn Street West.
Above left: 2 Dilwyn Street West bears a cartouche just below
the eaves reading: 'RACHEL VILLAS 1874' in slightly
naive characters. Above right: the nearby 31 Stevenson
Road has a name in a similar position, this time in gothic characters: 'Martha's
Above: 11(?) London Road has a polychrome facade. The stone base
of the central brick pillar bears three shaped panels:
'ARCHITECT B. BINYON BUILDERS E.
& EC. GIBBONS'
'BAPTIST CHAPEL THIS MEMORIAL STONE WAS LAID BY
SIR S. MORTON PETO BART OCT: 21 : 1875'
'PASTOR T.M. MORRIS'
The Ipswich Society's original Local
list (1985, see Reading list) lists
this building as 'Burlington Baptist Church'. The
Ipswich architect, Brightwen Binyon, was also the designer of Ipswich
Corn Exchange (see Exchange Chambers,
The rear of the building is adjacent to the rear of the
Burlington Church Halls, whose Palladian frontage is on Burlington
Road. This is Listed Grade II:
'An attractive mid C19 red brick building with grey brick quoins
and dressings and a modillion pediment on the front. One storey. 2
window range on the front and 5 window range on each side, tall metal
casements with glazing bars, in grey brick shouldered. architraves with
keystones. The centre part is slightly recessed with brick quoins and
modillions under the frieze. A central 8-panel double door with a
projecting pedimented stucco Tuscan porch with plain columns is
slightly recessed in a semi- circular arch with moulded brick intrados
and keystone. The front pediment has a central cartouche inscribed
"Burlington Sunday School 1860"*. Roof slate, with a modillion caves
No 2 (The Girls Friendly Society Hostel) and Burlington Baptist Church
Hall form a group.'
*As far as we can make out the oval cartouche is devoid of
lettering due to weathering.
Above: 7 Burlington Road where the lintel of the porch is
hand-lettered in gothic script: 'Broad Oke' (this has
been whitewashed around, note the cream background behind the
Listed elsewhere as 'Broad Oak', this strange spelling is reinforced by
the modern sign for the care home, attached to the front wall.
Above: 22 Burlington Road carries a shaped shield with
decorative capitals: 'INGLESIDE'. Ingleside
appears to be a non-specific name used for buildings and institutions
in the United Kingdom and abroad, although one might have thought that
it relates to Ingleton in the Yorkshire Dales.
Above left: no. 24, the
next-door house to 'Ingleside', bears a similar though damaged shield
labelled, in plain condensed capitals, 'OVERSTRAND'.
Overstrand is a coastal village near
Cromer in Norfolk.
Above: 30 Burlington Road. The thin edges of the captones on
either side of the front gate display the indented words: 'BURLINGTON
... LODGE' of this large, double-fronted house on the corner with
Above: 16 Dilwyn Street West bears the tablet:
'BERMUDA VILLA 1870'; as elsewhere, a pleasant-sounding
place-name has been applied to the house.
Above: 44 Emlen Street has, above the central front door, a
cartouche bearing the name 'GLEEVE VILLA'. Gleeve is a
family name, so perhaps that of the first owner here.
A striking feature of examples 7. and 10. is the impressive size
and design of houses erected by the Ipswich Freehold
Land Society – known more for Victorian terraces and semi's.
1. 47 Emlen Street, 'ELVEY
2. 18-20 Dilwyn Street
West, 'ALMER VILLA'S 1872'
3. 22 Dilwyn
Street West, 'DAISY COTTAGE 1872'
4. 81-83 London Road,
'ORIEL COTTAGES 1849' (on shield)
51 London Road
6. 69-71 London Road,
'GLYDE'S DALE TERRACE
8. 98-100 London
Road, 'CONWAY VILLAS F.L.S. 1888'
9. 55-57 London Road.
'GORDON . TERRACE E.T.R. 1884'
10. 94-96 London
11. 94-96 London Road,
'BANGOR VILLAS F.L.S. 1888'
12. 41 London Road,
13. 41 London Road, 'TERRACE' (the
'terrace' is 39 to 43)
name plaque examples: Alston Road;
Bramford Road; Broomhill Road;
Cauldwell Hall Road; Cavendish Street;
Road; Rosehill area;
Ipswich & Suffolk Freehold Land
Society (F.L.S.); California
Street index; Origins of street names
in Ipswich; Streets named after slavery
Dated buildings list; Dated buildings examples;
Named (& sometimes dated) buildings
Street nameplate examples; Brickyards
in the Borough of Ipswich
Please email any comments
and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission