Palmerston Road

Kerrison Villa
Ipswich Historic Lettering: Kerrison Villa 2   Ipswich Historic Lettering: Kerrison Villa2013 images
Number 42 Palmerston Road features a cartouche with a heavily-overpainted name in a hard-to-read gothic script:
'KERRISON.
VILLA'
Is that really a full stop after the 'N' of 'Kerrison'?
In 1856 Sir Edward Kerrison of Brome Hall purchased Pool Farm for the purpose of establishing a Reformatory. There were 235 subscribers towards the cost of the purchase, but the main cost was borne by Sir Edward. Pool Farmhouse was a very dilapidated building with a barn and other farm buildings with 11 acres 1 rood and 1 perch in Thorndon and approximately 5 acres in Stoke Ash. It was owned by the Hammond family and had two tenants, Miss Charlotte Hammond and Mr Berry who were kind enough to vacate the premises.
Between 8th February and 13th March the necessary alterations were made and after inspection by the Prison Inspector of the district a certificate was granted by the Home Office for the 'Suffolk Reformatory'. On 1 1th February Mr and Mrs Robert Gill were elected by the committee as Master and Matron at a salary of 100 and 50 allowance for rations. On the 31st March the first boy, committed at Bury Sessions, was admitted. A Labour Master, at labourers wages, to assist in all outdoor employments, had been engaged. At Sir Edward's death in 1886, his widow, Lady Caroline Kerrison, desired to perpetuate his memory by naming the Suffolk Reformatory as Kerrison Reformatory and in June 1887 the Trust was formed.


Home Cottage
Ipswich Historic Lettering: Home Cottage 1   Ipswich Historic Lettering: Home Cottage 2
'HOME
COTTAGE
1889'
is inscribed in a much-overpainted and crackled surface.
Ipswich Historic Lettering: Home Cottage 32007 aerial view
Home Cottage is one of those 'secret' dwellings one sometimes discovers tucked away behind houses where idiosyncrasies in cut-throughs and redevelopements of properties and roads have changed the landscape. On the 1902 eastern Ipswich map Home Cottage, numbered 24a, is shown tucked behind the terraced houses which line the eastern side of Palmerston Road, with access via a grass drive between numbers 24 and 26. The 20th century Upton Place cut through from Warwick Road curves roundand provides a rear access to the garage and garden of Home Cottage.
Ipswich Historic Lettering: Palmerston map
The above 1902 map shows Home Cottage in red, tucked in behind the back gardens of the terraced houses on the east of Palmerston Road. Upton Place has yet to be cut through from Warwick Road. There are no houses on the south side of St Helens Street below the Palmerston Road junction, but the tramway is shown down the middle of the street with the double loop at the Warwick Road/Grove Lane junction. St Helen's Lodge is a few yards down towards the town and still stands today, but not in the large garden shown: that is the site of Jefferies Road (see our Street furniture page for the 'British Relay' box).

St Helen's Church: 'St Helen's Ch. (Rec.)' and graveyard are there, but in 1902 the Rectory serving the church stands at the top of St Helen's Church Lane. This building was demolished to make way for St Helen's Primary School, built by V.A. Marriott and designed by R.C. Wrinch in 1913-14. So where did the Rector live after that? Is it possible that he moved to the house with the lettering 'Vicarage' further up Woodbridge Road, close to St John's Lodge? Are Rector's allowed to live in a Vicarage? To the west again we see the dense housing of Wells Court, which would have been on the north-east corner of the Potteries (see our Courts & yards page), all later demolished to form the Wells Court flats. To the north of Wells street is the land behind the Horse & Groom public house which fittingly has a 'Smithy' behind it, hence the name.



Home

Please email any comments and contributions by clicking here.

2004 Copyright throughout the Ipswich Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission