'THIS STONE WAS LAID BY
MISS MAY PRETTY
OF HER FATHER
IN CONNECTION WITH THIS BUILDING
WERE LAID ON NOVEMBER 29, 1903
Incised into the flat face of buff/red bricks are a range of initial
capital letters including: ' IN MEM' (twice),
mounted on grids on either side of the central brass memorial plate.
A glimpse of the arched ceilings, brackets and mouldings in two of the
Below: ceiling bosses and vents.
St Bartholomew's Church
Further up Rosehill Road on the corner with Newton Road
And to show just how the church is hemmed in by surrounding houses and
And the view from Newton Road, complete with well cared-for WWII
Anderson shelter in the foreground. The eastern gable wall has a large
elaborate circular window with double mandala shape tracery and Art
Nouveau stained glass, the leading just visible in the photograph.
The Church of St Batholomew is Listed Grade II: "Parish
church. 1896. Designed by Chas Spooner. Red brick with ashlar dressings
and plain tile roof. Nave with aisles and a chancel under a single
roof. Western entrance front with projecting porch between 2 very deep
gabled buttresses, with a copper lean-to roof. Central doorway with
triple chamfered and moulded arch, and double doors. Above an enormous
7 light window within a deeply chamfered, pointed arched surround, with
hood mould and label stops. Above, in the gable is ashlar diaper work.
The aisles have 3 pairs of pointed arched windows with buttresses
between them. The eastern gable wall has a large elaborate circular
window with double mandala shape tracery. Interior has 3 bay nave
arcades with double chamfered and moulded arches which die into
octagonal piers with moulded bases. Contemporary marble pulpit. The
eastern circular window has Art Nouveau stained glass."
On 199 Rosehill
Road, diagonally opposite the church, we