Lord's Granary, Ipswich,
The river would have come up through the walkway to the bottom of the steps.
Lord's Crossway and
The photograph above (taken from the Ipswich Society Newsletter, Issue 154) provides a fine comparison. The gathering marks the award by the Ipswich Society to owners Stuart and Gina Cooper, architect Anthony Rossi and builder John Hogg of an Award of Distinction for "Refurbishment of the Saleroom and Crossway" on 12 November, 2003. The major structural repairs were started by the Coopers over twenty years ago to rescue the redundant buildings from decay. Ipswich Borough Council and its Conservation Officer, Bob Kindred, have assisted in bringing parts of the site into useful, rate-generating activity. The west side of the site has been converted into office spaces and an art gallery (The John Russell Gallery in Wherry Lane). English Heritage grants aided the long and extensive restoration of the buildings shown here and planning permission was obtained in 2003 to create a restaurant in the Grade II listed east warehouse.
John Lee has been kind enough to send these
photographs of a pair of rather good watercolours of the complex "dated
July and August 1924... They are by the artist W.G. Merrick... I noted
a similar 1927 painting in the Ipswich Museum."
Images courtesy John Lee
The left painting is inscribed: 'The Home Yard, 80 Fore Street, Ipswich, 1924.' It shows the crossway seen from under the carriage entrance on Fore Street with rather nice plants in tubs near to a cobbled surface, a large gate across the entry beneath the crossway and external steps to the left.
The right-hand painting is entitled: ''The Home Yard, Cobbold's Maltings, Fore Street, Ipswich, 1924.' It is the reverse view, from beneath the crossway, of the merchants' house to the right with storage buildings across the yard to the left and the carriage entrance to Fore Street, with part of the Lord Nelson public house visible over the road.
(Both paintings have 'GOD first' in a golden shield.)
The Cobbold water pump
An enhanced view of the pump during refurbishment in 2004.
An independent developer opened these buildings as a bar/restaurant in 2009. Visitors to "Isaac's" will have the treat of seeing the interior details, sensitively restored of this famous survivor in the history of the dock and of Ipswich's maritime heritage. We know that John Cobbold - a very famous local name because of the dominance of the Tolly Cobbold brewery on Cliff Quay - once lived in the Isaac Lord house. One piece of evidence for this is the fire-damaged water pump (above) which stands against the Saleroom wall in the courtyard reached via the entry in Fore Street, opposite the Lord Nelson public house (shown here).
See Links for the Village
website for a national overview of these surviving curiosities. This courtyard has, by 2010, become an area accessible to
the public (via
the "Isaac's" bar/restaurant) and the characters above the tap can be
seen in these June, 2010 images:
'I ... C
18 ... 02'
The "I" is assumed to be a period character for 'J' as in 'John Cobbold'. Robert Malster's fine 'Ipswich: an A to Z of local history' (see Reading List) tells us of three notable men of this name. The first John Cobbold (1746-1835) was the third generation of the brewing family; he built Holywells Mansion around 1814. The second John Cobbold (1774-1860) was his eldest son and he married one of the Chevallier family of Aspall and he took a leading role in bringing the steam railway to Ipswich. The third was, in turn, his eldest son and was known as John Chevallier Cobbold (1797-1882) and was involved with his father in the Eatern Union Railway; he also represented Ipswich as Member of Parliament for twenty years, was a leading light in the planning of the Wet Dock and was Mayor of Ipswich in 1842: the year the dock opened. As this last 'John Cobbold' would have been only five years old in 1802 (and would really need the initials 'J.C.C.'), we wonder if the pump lettering celebrates the second 'John Cobbold' who would have been twenty eight in 1802. However, the first 'John Cobbold' would have been fifty-six when the pump panel was dated, so it could have been him.
During the Cobbold families' ownership of the ‘Isaac Lord’
complex, buildings were used as maltings and the Wherry Inn, a local
pub, was on the quay. Isaac Lord, a local businessman, bought the site
in 1900, and in 1930 Reginald (Reg) Cooper joined Isaacs Lord's
business, helping grow the firm's corn and coal interests, eventually
becoming the owner of the property. Isaac Lord died in 1942 but
his daughter lived in the merchant house fronting Fore Street until
1976. Once the business had ceased trading, the Cooper family
eventually worked hard to gain funding and begin the restoration of
parts of the site. They enabled the building fronting the dock to be
used as a temporary maritime museum in the 1980s. The whole complex was
eventually purchased by Aiden Coughlan, who has taken the sympathetic
restoration and refurbishment of Isaac Lord's as a bar and restaurant
business to its present success. Upper rooms house a restored machine
for crushing cattle-cake and the old (1960s) Lloyd's Bank building is
now the Briarbank bar and brewery.
We don't know of any other water pump surviving in
Ipswich and certainly nothing to rival the Ransomes
marvel in Hadleigh.
See also our Lettered castings index page.
Around 1900, Isaac
Lord bought the buildings and traded in corn and coal until
leaving his name prominently painted on several walls to be read by us
The Question Mark
Burton Son & Sanders / Paul's
Cranfield's Flour Mill
Trinity House buoy
Edward Fison Ltd
Ground-level dockside furniture on: 'The island', the northern quays and Ransome's Orwell Works
Ipswich Whaling Station?
Neptune Inn clock, garden and interior
John Good and Sons
Merchant seamen's memorial
Nova Scotia House
New Cut East
R&W Paul malting company
Steam Packet Hotel
Waterfront Regeneration Scheme
A chance to compare Wet Dock 1970s with 2004
Wet Dock maps
Davy's illustration of the laying of the Wet Dock lock foundation stone, 1839
Outside the Wet Dock