it is now the DanceEast Jerwood DanceHouse (no time for
inter-word spacing for these dancers). The DanceHouse is situated in The
Mill, on the former Cranfields
Mill site. Inside the foyer, not far
from the famous tutu chandelier, is an old sack. But what a sack!
framed, this relic of the busy days of milling at Cranfield
Brothers' displays the following lettering in two coloured inks:
+ DOCK ROLLER MILLS +
These photographs from the Ipswich Maritime Trust display in the Custom
House show, below left, ‘Cranfield’s Dock Roller Mills, 1958. Loading
sacks of flour at the site of today’s IMT Window Museum (original
photograph: Stuart Grimwade)'. Below right: another lettered sack:
‘THIS SACK IS THE PROPERTY OF
CORNFIELD BROS. LTD.
DOCK ROLLER MILLS
TO BE USED FOR WHEAT ONLY 8/55'
For an image of the stump of 'Cranfields Flour Mill' which has been
preserved (unfinished) opposite St Mary-At-The-Quay Church see The Mill page.
See our More almshouses page for a
little more about the good works of Lillian Cranfield, widow of the
founder of the company.
For more images of these buildings and of the
northern quays during the 2005/6 Waterfront demolition and clearances
see our Waterfront regeneration
Please email any comments
and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission