Cut East / The Island
Photographs courtesy Peter Turtill
From the fenced-off part of the Island site, few people see the
'NEW CUT EAST'
The Harbourmaster's House and Lock Cottages. These properties
were constructed around 1840 besides the original lock gates for the
Wet Dock (see our Wet Dock map) so that
the men in charge of the lock "shall be present at all times". These
buildings once housed the Harbour master and his assistant. The clock
stopped at one. The sign to the left reads:
Across New Cut is the road called New Cut West. Felaw Maltings
to the right and The Steamboat
Tavern to the left of Felaw Street (site of a William Paul Tenements Trust building
and the Bake Office lettering).
Beside the Harbour Master's Office is this boarded-up building.
Looking at the other photographs on this page, one would barely
know that water surrounds and defines this area. So here are two views
of New Cut and running above it, New Cut East. These rotting vessels
are testimony to the lack of shipping here in modern times; so
different to the era of the steamers which departed from outside The
Steamboat Tavern to Felixstowe, Harwich and London while barges moved
up and down the Gipping serving Needham Market and Stowmarket.
See more images of the Island area.
Please email any comments and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission